White Bean and Chicken Chili
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: about 1 cup
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern or Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes & green chilies (like Ro-Tel)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 lime wedges (optional)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add oregano and beans; cook for 30 seconds.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to pan.
- Add chicken and diced tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper, stirring well.
- Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- 286 calories
- 6g fat
- 1.2g sat. fat
- 435mg sodium
- 24g carbohydrate
- 5.5g fiber
- 32g protein